Naga Student Agreement
The following are guidelines which we ask all students (and all parents/involved adults of students who are children) to understand and commit to following. Taking time now to read and digest this document as well as the student handbook will go a long way toward making your journey at Naga an exciting and positive one!
You will be asked for your commitment with a signature at the very bottom of this document. In the case of students under the age of 12, we will need TWO OR MORE signatures, all involved adults and your child’s.
As a student, you are expected to attend classes consistently. It is recommended that you attend at least 2 training classes each week.
- Please arrive at least 10 minutes before class so you have time to put on your belt or sash, put your water bottle on the floor, and line up for class.
- We know that sometimes there are exceptions, but please understand that each time you arrive late to class, it disrupts not only the instructor but all the other students as well.
- If you do arrive late, please wait patiently in “Siap” stance until your instructor can take time away from all the other students to bow you in.
Care of Uniforms
- Wear a clean fresh uniform EVERY time you come to class.
- We only wear Poekoelan uniforms in class. No exceptions.
- Tie your hair back. Incorrect uniform, forgotten sashes or belts, and untied hair will result in you sitting out of class.
Care of Belts and Sashes
- We put on our belts on the workout floor at Naga. We remove them on the floor after class before leaving the school.
- We respect our belts and don’t let them touch the floor. Others may touch our belt or sash, but they need to ask us permission first.
- You may ask for help putting on your belt the first few times, but then it is important that you learn to tie it yourself.
- Belts and sashes are kept wrapped when we’re not wearing them. We use nice pieces of fabric, scarves or sash/belt bags made for this purpose.
- Keep your belt or sash in a safe place. Bring it and wear it every class.
Health and Hygiene
- Wash hands before and after class and after using the restroom.
- Speaking of the restroom…Please use it before or after class. If it is an emergency, please talk to your mat instructor, don’t just walk off the floor.
- If you have an open sore or scratch, even if it’s under the uniform, please make sure it is covered with a clean band-aid or bandage.
- Keep your toenails and fingernails clipped and clean.
- If you have stayed home from school or work, have a fever, a heavy cough or any illness that can spread from person to person, please stay home and take care of yourself!
- Please be aware if antiperspirants or deodorizers are needed during your workout. If you are a heavy sweater, please bring a towel.
- Please, no sugary drinks on the floor. Water only.
We have an active community and it is your responsibility to keep informed about closures, events, requirements for testing, etc. We use many avenues to communicate with our students and families. Please keep an eye and ear out on a regular basis for current events.
The following list includes some, but not all of, our methods for communication:
- Weekly Announcements to your inbox (check your spam folder)
- End of class announcements
- Whiteboard outside
- Posters & handouts
- All-School Meetings
If there are things you don’t understand, please ask. Talk to Jeff or Silvia or one of the advanced students (green sash and above).
For Families and Visitors
We understand that our school is pretty small. The following guidelines will help us a great deal. Thank you in advance!
- If your child is under seven, we ask that you remain on site during their class.
- All of our parents/families are encouraged to watch their child’s progress on a regular basis. There are many milestones that your child will accomplish daily, and you being there as a parent to witness their immediate growth and development, is essential for their self-esteem. However, we also understand that you may need to drop off your child and run errands. Please make sure that your child is on time for class as tardiness effects the overall structure of the class and is distracting to instructors and teammates. Also, make sure that you pick up your child on time.
- Siblings are not permitted on the training floor for safety reasons. Siblings must be accompanied/supervised by a parent or guardian.
- We ask all visitors to pick up after themselves. For example, if you make tea, please wash your cup.
- Please be aware if a sibling or visitor is distracting the students on the floor. If so, please remove them from the training area.
- If you must use your phone, please keep it on silent.
Changing Room Etiquette
- No cell phones in the changing room
- No monkeying around in the cubby room
- Unsafe behavior will be grounds for loss of changing room privileges
- Please observe our no cell phone policy while you are getting ready for class or are visiting.
- If you are using an electronic device, please use headphones. Devices that make noises are distracting to the students and instructors.
- Parents, siblings, and guests are welcome to observe classes. Please keep conversations and noise to a minimum so students can focus.
- Please put your name on your water bottle as any unlabeled bottles will be recycled/stowed in the lost and found basket after class.
- The lost and found basket is removed from Naga on the last Thursday of every month.
- Since your membership is based on a 48-week year, and Martial Arts training is a year-round activity, a total of four weeks throughout the year are reserved for quality time with our family and friends in observation of national holidays and school vacations. Naga closes in observance of Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving Weekend. We will also be closed the week before New Year’s, the last week of summer vacation (the week prior to Labor Day) and Spring Break. Enjoy!
Poekoelan Student Creed
- I will train to the best of my ability.
- I will develop myself in a positive manner.
- I will practice patience, love, and compassion with my teammates and others in my everyday life.
- I will follow the examples that Poekoelan teaches: to be flexible, strive for excellence, develop self-discipline, and respect others.
- I will avoid anything that will reduce my mental and physical well being.
- I will practice what I learn in class constructively and defensively and never be abusive or offensive.
Practice – Patience – Perseverance – Purity
Student, Please sign and date:
o I will come to class consistently whether that is once, twice, or more times a week.
o I will wear a clean uniform, tie my hair back, bring my belt or sash and a water bottle to every class. I understand that failure to do any one of these things will result in my sitting out of class and watching.
o I will arrive at least 10 minutes early to class so that I can get on my uniform, my belt or sash, put my water bottle on the floor, and line up on time.
o I will keep my toenails and fingernails clean and short.
o I understand that chores are part of my training and that there will be times when I will need to stay later than usual to make sure they get done.
o I will keep a Poekoelan notebook and will bring it with me to every class.
o I will practice the skills I learn at home between classes in a safe manner.
o I have read the Poekoelan Student Creed and agree to abide by it.
o I have read and understood the contents of this agreement.
For Parents, Please Sign and Date:
o I will support my child in their training by helping them get to class on time and consistently each week.
o Martial Arts training is a year-round pursuit. There are many wonderful activities to choose from, and we will remain mindful of our commitment to our martial arts training when considering involvement in other activities.
o I will help my child find a notebook to use as their Poekoelan notebook.
o I acknowledge that I have read and understood the contents of this agreement.
Student Signature - Naga Student Agreement
Parent/Guardian Signature - Naga Student Agreement